3.2.3. 3Temp case study
Module 3: Repair
As an example of products which are made for repair, we take a look at the professional coffee machines of 3Temp.
They are made for easy access: both customers and service staff. As a special feature, the machine is connected to 3Temp-central in Sweden, where spare part deliveries can be triggered quickly and easily, without the customer having to do anything.
In the first video Anna-Karin Jönbrink gives an overview about this case study, followed by a second video where she interviews the Head of the R&D-Department of 3Temp, Peter Larsson.
- Coffee machine by 3Temp is aimed at professional users (B2B)
- The product is designed for repair, in conjunction with a digital, online communication system
- Expand the lifetime by customized maintenance advice (see also the principle of Reuse)
- Send spare parts to service personal or customers before the machine is out of order
- Easy access to all parts of the machine
- Repair can be done by the customers themselves
- Development takes place against the background of a circular economy and saving CO2
- Predict failure and send service personal before the machine becomes out of order
- Therefore time is being saved during the repair processes
- Saving of about 30000 km/year for a number of 100 machines in use
Engineering Design for Circular Economy by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/engineering-design-circular-economy/.