5.2.3 Samsen Case Study
Design for Recycling does not have to be invisible. “Projekt Samsen” prints frames for glasses in different shapes and colours. The customer can purchase a very individual frame, which in addition is designed for recycling.
Using new production technologies is a big advantage in the following example. Not only was the new production technology required, but also the idea to adapt the product.
- Junctions mostly add an additional material.
- Not all materials could be handled in the same way as cardboard.
- New technology provides new possibilities.
Video. Interview with Lea from ``Projekt Samsen``
- Familiar products produced with new technology also requires new thoughts for the manufacturing process.
- Two parts, two tasks, one material. The frame carries the glasses which protect your eyes from the sun.
- Try to avoid creating disadvantages with the new manufacturing method / approach.
Engineering Design for Circular Economy by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/engineering-design-circular-economy/.