This lecture is on one of the Complex System Properties, namely Emergence. Students should:
- Be able to give a definition of Emergence
- Understand how emergence appears from a reductionist and from a holistic perspective
- Understand the notion of system levels, agent, network and emergent system
- Understand that the physical and social reality as we perceive it is a result of a continuous process of emergence from elementary particles up.
- Explore how to model Agent interactions, using the flocking model in the models library
- Observe the emergence from the system, and think about ways to affect it, either by modifying the pattern in such a way that it is even stronger, or by destroying it.
- Report on the effect of changes on the homework pages
The lecture slides and papers are attached below.
Agent Based Modeling of Complex Adaptive Systems (Basic) by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/agent-based-modeling-of-complex-adaptive-systems-basic/.