4.1.1 Introduction to Automation networks
Last week, we were given a short introduction to power system dynamics. We learnt the classification of power system stability and dealt with voltage and frequency stability. We concluded the module by understanding the concept of active power balance and frequency control.
In this module we will offer a brief introduction to Automation Networks, as communication is an integral part of a smart grid. Specifically, we will learn about the following topics:
- Types of networks and their attributes
- Different network protocols
- The ISO-OSI reference model
- Industrial automation networks with LonWorks as a case study
- Automation network security
Smart Grids: The Basics by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/smart-grids-the-basics///.