Many health complaints, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or joint problems seem inescapable diseases of old-age, but originate mostly from our lifestyle. A lifestyle that is dictated much in part by our environment. The mismatch between our ‘old’ genes – our evolutionary heritage – and the ‘modern’ environment is the reason that we cannot resist the constant stimuli that seduce us to make unhealthy choices. Do’s and don’ts cannot help us.
This health course will take a radically different approach to showing you how to secure a lifestyle, which will keep you healthy through the ages. We have to let the environment do the work for us. By making small changes at our home, work, school or neighborhood, healthier choices can become easier or even unconscious.
Practical assignments will give you the skills to re-design your daily environments to promote healthy, longer lives for you and your family, colleagues and neighbors with whom you share your re-designed environments. You will learn how to create your own healthy living zone!
We will take you on excursions to Copenhagen, Denmark and to Ghent, Belgium to show you hands-on how the environment can help you live longer, healthier and happier lives!
These course materials are part of an online course of TU Delft. Do you want to experience an active exchange of information between academic staff and students? Then join the community of online learners and enroll in this MOOC.
- Understand how the current ageing process is different from the ageing process of the past.
- Gain insights on how your lifestyle and environment is influencing your health and ageing process.
- Understand the importance of the environment in the ageing process.
- Re-design your daily environment to nudge yourself and other people to healthy choices.
- How to advise policy makers on the health impact of day-to-day public environments.
Healthy ageing in 6 steps - Let the environment do the work by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/healthy-aging-6-steps/.