Module 1. The Quantum Internet and Quantum Computers: How Will They Change the World?
Can something be dead and alive at the same time? Or here and there? Or active and quiet? Learn here about the principle of superposition!
- Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.
- Quantum states can be added together – superposed – to yield a new valid quantum state.
- Every quantum state can be seen as a linear combination, a sum of other distinct quantum states.
Superposition can be visualized by an experiment, where you shoot quantum particles through two slits.
- In the double slit experiment a classical bit chooses either one of the openings.
- The qubit can be put in a superposition of both paths.
Another experiment that shows the power of a quantum computer is the maze. What is the advantage of superposition compared to a classical way of computing?
- Quantum computers are good at solving search tasks.
Quantum Internet and quantum computers how will they change the world I by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/quantum-internet-quantum-computers-will-change-world/