Can something be dead and alive at the same time? Or here and there? Or active and quiet? Learn here about the principle of superposition!
- Superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.
- Quantum states can be added together – superposed – to yield a new valid quantum state.
- Every quantum state can be seen as a linear combination, a sum of other distinct quantum states.
Superposition can be visualized by an experiment, where you shoot quantum particles through two slits.
- In the double slit experiment a classical bit chooses either one of the openings.
- The qubit can be put in a superposition of both paths.
Another experiment that shows the power of a quantum computer is the maze. What is the advantage of superposition compared to a classical way of computing?
- Quantum computers are good at solving search tasks.
Quantum Internet and quantum computers how will they change the world I by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/quantum-internet-quantum-computers-will-change-world/