The course treats the following topics:
- Relevant physical oceanography
- Elements of marine geology (seafloor topography, acoustical properties of sediments and rocks)
- Underwater sound propagation (ray acoustics, ocean noise)
- Interaction of sound with the seafloor (reflection, scattering)
- Principles of sonar (beamforming)
- Underwater acoustic mapping systems (single beam echo sounding, multi-beam echo sounding, sidescan sonar)
- Data analysis (refraction corrections, digital terrain modelling)
- Applications (hydrographic survey planning and navigation, coastal engineering)
- Current and future developments.
Acoustic Remote Sensing and Sea Floor Mapping by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/acoustic-remote-sensing-and-sea-floor-mapping/.