The course linear modeling delivers the skillset in linear or structural modeling that is required to solve structural problems from which you can develop finite element (FE) models for practical applications. It also teaches how results can be correctly interpreted. The course uses an open source FE package in a series of weekly practical sessions where models are constructed for sample problems and results are validated against simplified analytical models or open literature.
The main topics of this course:
- finite element method
- linear static analysis
- finite element type formulation
- finite element model setup using commercial software
- plane stress/strain
This Course at TU Delft
On this page you can watch the recorded video lectures and view the lecture slides. For the full learning experience, including practical assignments and personalized feedback given by the lecturer, you can enroll in an online version of this course and earn an official certificate of TU Delft. Visit this course on the Online Learning site.
In this course you will gain:
- Strong theoretical understanding of FEM
- Application of FEM to practical engineering problems
- Efficient modeling techniques
- Understanding the importance of verification and validation
The course materials used in this MOOC are available on TU Delft OpenCourseWare and can be viewed and downloaded for free. If you enrol for the MOOC, you will be introduced to up to date techniques in web lectures and webinars. Also you will apply each technique to a case with fellow learners. Ultimately, the combination of these techniques provides a coherent analysis of the problem. If you want to enrol, go to https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/linear-modeling-fem/ to learn when the next run will start
- 1. Introduction to the Finite Element Method and finite element formulation using the Direct Stiffness Approach
- 2. Finite Element formulation using the Variational Approach
- 3. Finite Element formulation using the Weighted Residual Approach
- 4. The Beam element
- 5. Isoparametric formulation and Triangular elements
- 6. Post-Processing and Convergence
- 7. The Quadrilateral element
- 8. Extra Notes
Linear Modelling by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/linear-modeling/.