You’ll learn about today’s urban challenges focusing on developing countries, referred to as the global south. We will debate the benefits of three pathways, going beyond traditional urban strategies and policies:
1. Spatial justice
Spatial justice is undoubtedly one of the greatest challenges of urban contexts in emerging economies.
2. Housing Provision and Management
Increasing demand in the global south calls for alternative approaches in housing provision and management.
3. Urban Resilience
Understanding resilience not as a mere struggle for survival, but as an opportunity to build better urban environments.
We will discuss question such as:
- Is the just city framework applicable in cities with extreme socio-economic inequality?
- Can community-led housing initiatives provide effective solutions for households in need?
- How can resilience support development instead of perpetuating a disadvantaged condition?
No previous knowledge in urban planning or global south is required, just your eagerness to learn!
- Alternative theories in spatial justice, housing provision and management, and urban resilience.
- Application of analytical tools and innovative solutions to contemporary urban challenges
- Develop a critical perspective about your own urban environment.
- New perspectives to understand and analyze the urban challenges of the global south.
The course materials used in this MOOC are available on TU Delft OpenCourseWare and can be viewed and downloaded for free. If you enrol for the MOOC, you will be introduced to up to date techniques in web lectures and webinars. Also you will apply each technique to a case with fellow learners. Ultimately, the combination of these techniques provides a coherent analysis of the problem. If you want to enrol, go to https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/rethink-the-city-new-approaches-to-global-and-local-urban-challenge/ to learn when the next run will start
Rethink the City: New Approaches to Global and Local Urban Challenges by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/rethink-city-new-approaches-global-local-urban-challenges/.