Hollow vs. Solid Shaft
An engineer is asked to size a 3 m long aluminum shaft designed to transmit a torque of 1200 Nm. The engineer has the following two design constraints and two design options:
- Maximum allowable shear stress within the shaft = 40 MPa
- Maximum allowable twist = 0.75 deg/m
- G = 78 GPa
- Solid circular shaft cross-section of diameter d
- Hollow circular shaft with outer diameter d2 and wall thickness of 10% d2
- Which shaft design will be more weight efficient and why?
- What is the minimum diameter, d, of the solid shaft?
- What is the minimum outer diameter, d2, of the hollow shaft?
Aerospace Mechanics of Materials by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ocw.tudelft.nl/courses/aerospace-mechancis-of-materials/.