3.0.1 Introduction to Aerospace Structures
Module 3. Aerospace Structures
Now that you know all about materials and manufacturing, it is finally time to look at aerospace structures. These form the scaffolding of every aircraft or spacecraft.
This module consists of 5 modules:
- Introduction into Aircraft Structural Elements
- Structural Concepts
- Stiffened Shells
- Wing Structures
- Space Structures
At the end of this Module, you will be able to:
- Give definitions of airframe, principal structural elements, and secondary structural elements
- List the typical structural elements of aircraft and spacecraft
- Explain the function of sheet material and shells
- Explain the difference between material stiffness and structural stiffness
- Explain the function of ribs, spars and skin-spar assemblies
- Explain the function of spacecraft structural elements
If you have not yet decided what your favorite aircraft or spacecraft is, you’d better do so soon or simply pick any aircraft as you will be studying your favorite in more detail in this assignment for this module.
Introduction to Aerospace Structures and Materials by TU Delft OpenCourseWare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://online-learning.tudelft.nl/courses/introduction-to-aerospace-structures-and-materials/.