In the first subject of the AE4010 Research Methodologies course Dr. Ir. Gillian Saunders-Smits gives an introduction to the course. She explains the aim and learning goals of the course after which she addresses on the planning of the course. To conclude, she explains to the students what the assignments of the course are and which deadlines are attached with those.
This week’s learning objectives are:
- Introduction, rules and the setting of the course.
- The language of research (variable, attribute, causal relationship, hypothesis and unit of analysis)
- Rationale or logic of research and how it is structured (components of research, deductive/inductive reasoning, validity)
- Validity understood by its Conclusion, Internal, Construct or External nature
- How research is thought up or conceptualised